The new federal government administration has instilled great hope in our industry and opened the door for the degree of political change that the American Suntanning Association has been working toward for the last four years. Now is the time for our industry to stand united and maximize our opportunity to set our businesses up for long-term success.
The ASA’s efforts are making a real difference for the industry and for your business, but we can’t do it alone. There is no better time to get involved with the only organization positioned to build a future for your business.
The ASA has developed a multi-part campaign to stem the tide of unfair attacks against our industry. Our actions have included working on Capitol Hill to repeal the tan tax and keep it from resurfacing; initiating litigation against the Nebraska Cancer Coalition to stop the CDC-funded “Bed is Dead” campaign; and working with the CDC and FDA to better understand our scientifically supported position.
Today we are in the best position ever to stop the attacks and to change public perception of indoor tanning. Here is what the ASA is doing to continue to improve the future outlook for all of our businesses:
ASA has conducted hundreds of meetings in our nations capitol, educating legislators about our scientifically supported position.
- The Tan Tax will be eliminated with the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, but ASA has to work to ensure that it doesn’t get added back into a replacement healthcare bill.
- Meetings and communications with the CDC are designed to change the government’s position to a more balanced message about UV light and indoor tanning.
- FDA Proposed Rules Response – 300+ page submission; one-on-one meetings; More than 10,000 industry submissions. ASA’s scientific rebuttals have impacted the FDA’s attempt to further regulate our market.
The tanning industry must be acutely aware of state and federal regulations governing the marketing or public discussion of indoor tanning. ASA has spent significant time and energy to ensure our communications are within the law as we seek to positively influence public perception of indoor tanning.
- ASA communications efforts have helped reduce the negative media attention experienced by the industry in previous years.
- Our efforts have been critical in educating members of Congress about the issues impacting our industry.
- We are continuously developing and implementing new initiatives that will net considerable results for the industry in 2017 and beyond.
ASA is devoting considerable resources to stop the flow of false and misleading information about our industry and your business.
- ASA’s legal efforts represent the strongest pushback in the history of our industry against anti-tanning forces.
- We believe the latest UV-related science will prevail over anti-tanning rhetoric, and the right forum is in a court of law.
That’s why the ASA-backed litigation in Nebraska is so important. If successful, the suit will provide a precedent to be used against other anti-tanning groups to stop misstatements made about indoor tanning.
Our opponents are driving new under-18 bans already in 2017 as well as lobbying individual state departments for additional regulation of our industry. ASA is already traveling to states working with lobbyists and legislators alongside local salon groups and taking proactive measures to educate state regulators in the following areas:
- The meaning and intent of recommended exposure schedules.
- The industry’s best practices already in place.
- Science demonstrates the sun abstinence message from the government is doing more harm than good to human health.
ASA’s scientific team has spent nearly seven years parsing every piece of UV-related research in existence, and collaborating with the world-leading pro-UV experts. As a result, our efforts have yielded:
- Dozens of conversations with many of the world’s leading scientists regarding UV light, sunbeds and melanoma.
- Many scientists taking action with research development, letters to Congress, and meetings with government agencies.
- Proof that much of the anti-tanning research cited by the government and some within the medical industry is incorrect.
All of these activities are funded solely by the support of indoor tanning businesses like yours. We urge you to invest in protecting your business by becoming a member or making a contribution to the ASA. Please get involved to protect the future of our industry and your business by joining the ASA. Contact the ASA at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling: 855-879-7678.